- Who we are
- HPC-Europa experience at CINECA
- CINECA offers to visitors
- Some pre-visit arrangements
- During your stay
- Useful links
- Contact us
Who we are
CINECA is a non profit Consortium, made up of 70 Italian universities, 8 Italian Research Institutions, and the Italian Ministry of Education. Today it is the largest Italian computing centre, one of the most important worldwide. With more seven hundred employees, it operates in the technological transfer sector through high performance scientific computing, the management and development of networks and web based services, and the development of complex information systems for treating large amounts of data.
SCAI (SuperComputing Applications and Innovation) is the Cineca High Performance Computing department. The mission of SCAI is to accelerate the scientific discovery by providing high performance computing resources, data management and storage systems and tools and HPC services and expertise at large, aiming to develop and promote technical and scientific services related to high-performance computing for the Italian and European research community.
MARCONI: It is the new Tier-0 system that replaced FERMI in July 2016. It is based on the LENOVO NeXtScale platform and the next generation of the Intel Xeon Phi product family. It will gradually be completed in about 12 months: the first partition (Marconi-A1) with Intel Broadwell is into production from July the first, 2016, the second partition (Marconi-A2) with Intel KnightsLanding is into production from January, 2017. Marconi is classified in Top500 list among the most powerful supercomputer: Marconi-A1 rank 46 in June 2016 and Marconi-A2 rank 12 in November 2016.
CINECA enables world-class scientific research by operating and supporting leading-edge supercomputing technologies and by managing a state-of-the-art and effective environment for the different scientific communities. The SCAI staff offers support and consultancy in HPC tools and techniques and in several scientific domains, such as physics, particle physics, material sciences, chemistry. Cineca is currently:
- a CUDA Research Center, based on the vision, quality, and impact of its research leveraging GPU technology;
- an Intel® Parallel Computing Center, to accelerate the creation of open standard, portable and scalable parallel applications by combining computational science, hardware, programmer tools, compilers and libraries, with domain knowledge and expertise. Specific focus of Cineca in this action is Quantum Espresso and SPECFEM3D;
- one of the 6 PRACE PATCs (PRACE Advanced Training Centres), to carry out and coordinate training and education activities that enable the European research community to utilise the computational infrastructure available through PRACE.
HPC-Europa experience at CINECA
CINECA was an active partner of all previous HPC-Europa runs. CINECA has demonstrated its attractiveness for the European researchers in the previous HPC-Europa2 project and also as one of the PRACE Advanced Training Centres (PATC). Within the framework of the current HPC-Europa3 consortium, we again offer the unique opportunity for all European researchers to get the experience of working with Italian research groups while CINECA provides them with computational recourses and other high-quality ICT services. In its turn, the Italian researchers can apply for a visitor program (Transnational Access, TA) to any of 8 HPC-Europa3 partners’ centres in Europe.
Over its four-year lifespan (2017-2021), we plan to host about 180 visitors in Italy.
CINECA offers to visitors
- access to one of the most advanced high performance computing facilities in Europe
- collaboration with scientific hosts in Italy (outside CINECA) in a huge variety of research fields
- technical and scientific support from our internal researchers with large expertise
- travel and living expenses
- logistical support before and during your stay
Some pre-visit arrangements
Once you have been contacted, as soon as possible before starting your visit, you are requested to send us your name, surname, address, date and place of born, a copy of your passport or identity card, and an electronic picture of yourself.
You will receive well in advance a file containing information about reimbursements and living expenses grant.
During your stay
CINECA is located in Casalecchio di Reno, a small town near Bologna. The Bologna airport is not far from here (10 minutes by taxi). From CINECA you can easily reach downtown Bologna by bus (see the bus transports timetables) and by train (very useful -10 minutes) from the stop called Ceretolo to the main Bologna railway station. The train is called Suburbana and with a common bus ticket you can reach Bologna. Look for the timetable.
In general questions please contact the European coordinators of HPC-Europa3 Transnational Access Programme at staff (at) hpc-europa.org.
For questions and other topics related to visiting Italy under HPC-Europa3 please contact:
HPC-Europa3 Project Manager, CINECA
d.testi (at) cineca.it